Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 172 [Line Up]

Yesterday I braved the pits of Hell!
Also known as my 15 year old son's bedroom.
If left to his own devices his room would be a science experiment gone wrong in no time at all.
I do require him to keep his room clean enough for the door to close, not asking a lot am I!? 
I also require removal of garbage and dishes once a week as well as a run through with the vacuum.
His idea of vacuuming and mine are completely different because there was a lot pick up by the cleaner!
My sweet little boy suffers from ADHD and for those of you not educated in the subject, those with ADHD have a very difficult time with organization.  My son is no exception.  We have tried many, many, many different systems since he was 5 years old.  The current system is working pretty well, but inevitably a few misplaced items turns into a few more and then it's overwhelming for the boy to live in and the act of cleaning it is overwhelming.  Usually I go into this room 3-4 times a year to do a "Mom Clean" and I usually have him assist me in the task.  This time I felt a solo run was in need.  I cleaned up and cleared out a lot of stuff/clutter.  He went from two bookcases to one in his room.  Less places to stuff junk! 
What I found most disturbing were the water bottles.  Lined up on the half wall in the hallway are nine of the ELEVEN full bottles of water I was able to create with the abundance of 'empty' water bottles in his room.  New rule effective last night...no more food or drink in his room.  Although we will allow one, ONE water bottle! 
So, I sit here today, having survived the pits of Hell and a happy teenager with a much cleaner and simplified room. 

1 comment:

  1. You'll have to see Sade's room when you come on Sunday. We just did the same thing in there...UGH!!! But, it is a little comforting to know that some of the issue for her is ADHD and not just spite :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...