Saturday, December 25, 2010

Day 359 [For REAL]

As I was about to post this picture as Day 360, I started to realize that my calculation was off! 
I went back and realized my mistake dates back to day 187....if you look, you will not find day 187!  I went from 186 to 188...so I've been off since July!
Anyway....
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
Today's post is about the BEST gift!
This is a gift that was not purchased in a store for me, rather a gift that came way of my Mother's china cabinet.  My Mom's Mother, my Grandma Severson, passed away when I was 10 years old.  I have very fond memories of the short time I was able to know her. 
One of my most vivid memories is of the day, not long before her passing, that she bought out a tea cup in her kitchen, showed it to me and said that it was mine.  Her Mother had given it to her on her 9th birthday (i don't recall if is was purchased new for my Grandmother or not)  and she wanted me, her eldest Granddaughter, to have this tea cup.  Her hope was that one day I would pass it down to my Granddaughter.
She told me that she would give the tea cup to my Mother to keep for me until I was grown.
It has remained in my Mother's china cabinet since that day, 30 years ago.
I have requested my tea cup many times since I have been married, but left sad and frustrated when I was told not until I had a china cabinet to house it in.
Since I have no need for nor plans to purchase said cabinet, I've been left without my beloved tea cup.
I requested the cup at Thanksgiving but left empty handed.
Last night, during gift exchange with my family, there was one box that was unmarked.  My Mom said it was for me, but it was not a present.  Confused and intrigued, it was the first item I opened. 
Inside was a note from my Mother, which brought me to tears, explaining why she had kept the cup for so long, due to her being very close to her Mother and having a hard time letting go.  She was sorry for keeping it from me for so long. 
This was by far the most touching and best gift I received last night.
I will be soon looking for a case for my tea cup so I can safely display it in my house.


2 comments:

  1. so sweet! such a beautiful teacup and a beautiful memory!! I have quite a few teacups sets that once belonged to my Great Grandmother...I cherish them so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a touching story, Julie. Especially the way your mom chose to give you the teacup. And it's so sweet that your Grandma was able to give it to you and tell you the meaning behind it while she was still alive.

    Lovely pic. I'm sure the teacup & saucer are even more beautiful in person. Wonderful post.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...